Occupational health nurse: The profession according to the American Association of Occupation Health Nurse describes as someone “who provides for and delivers health and safety programs and services to workers, worker population and community groups”. In simple language, the occupational health nurse is a speciality nursing practise that provides for and delivers healthcare, safety programs, and services to workers. And even sometimes to a workers group or community groups. The occupational health nursing program mainly focuses on promotion, maintenance, and restoration of health. They work on the prevention of illness and injury, even they help in protection from work-related and environmental hazards. The nurse practising in this zone aims to combine knowledge of health and business to balance safe and healthy work environments.
The detailed analysis report for the Occupational health nursing is given, those who are looking for the occupational health nursing detail, read below;
Occupational nurse responsibilities
Occupational health nurses have to work with employers and employees to identify health and safety needs in the workplace. They share some responsibilities as occupational health nurses, they are: The detailed information was given below for the nurses, the Occupational health nurse responsibilities list is given below for reference;
The occupational nurse role information is added in below, those who are searching for roles and responsibilities.
for occupational nurse responsibilities is more important than the other health nurses, the roles and responsibilities all given for Health nurses, read the below and note the complete points. These points will help in real practice and exam also.
Occupational Health Nurse
- Occupational health nurse have to Coordinate and deliver services and programs.
- They have to promote an interdisciplinary approach to health care.
- Occupational health nurse have to advocate for the employee’s right to prevention-oriented, cost-effective health and sometimes even safety programs too.
- Occupational health nurse have to encourage workers to take responsibility for their own health in all the way through health education
- They also encourage workers to attend disease management programs, such as smoking cessation, exercise/fitness,control of chronic illnesses and many more.
- Occupational health nurse monitor the health status of workers, worker populations and community groups.
- The occupational health nurse also conducts research on the effects of workplace exposures, gathering health and hazard data.
- They also work as case managers, in which they have to routinely coordinate and manage the care of ill or disable persons on the short term. They even have to coordinate and manage co-workers and family members for patient health care.
- They work particularly as health promoters and risk reduction, as nurse have to promote lifestyle change and individual efforts which can reduce the risk of disease and help to recover soon. They also assist family members, to make them understand the value of personal hygiene, immunization and many more for patient welfare and fast recovery.
Occupational health nurses usually work in manufacturing and production facilities, hospitals and medical centers. You can also find them in other employment sectors, even in government sectors too. Workplace activities covers health and wellness, workplace safety, infection control, disaster preparedness and even they work as travel health. An occupational health nurse plays a variety of roles in their jobs, like clinicians, case managers, educators, directors and consultants.
The work schedule is usually Monday through Friday, but may vary, depending upon the work environment, position and responsibilities.
How do you become an occupational health nurse
The nurses who wish to become an Occupational health nurse have to complete a bachelor’s degree or a four-year course so that they can apply for registered nurse. Before applying for registered nurse you have to check all the terms and conditions of your state so that you can practice and get the license without any trouble. Typically nurses opting for this field have a baccalaureate degree in nursing and they also have to get experience in community health, ambulatory care, critical care, or emergency nursing. If a nurse wants to pursue advanced education then they can opt for masters degree in specialization like public health, advanced practitioner, or business, as of example to continue to build their professional competencies.
Occupational Health Nurse Certification
Certificate in occupational health nursing is certified through the American Board for Occupational Health Nurses. For becoming an occupational health nurse certification, the candidate must have a registered nurse, with an appropriate degree in nursing. They should have worked as a registered nurse within the field of occupational health for at least 3000 hours within five years. After all the things the last thing is to they have to crack the certified examination.
Future of occupational health nursing
Occupational health nurse is one of the growing professions. The projected information shows that the field having growth by 12 percentage in 2022 according to McCauley and Peterman, 2017. Health care and wellness are in demand now a day. Healthcare reforms is able to improve right to use and deliver health care services for everyone. The demand of this field can increase due to reform. Workplace now a days have increasing insurance costs and workers compensation cases, which creates demand of the occupational health nurses who is having well knowledge about health welfare.
Occupational health nursing salary
The job outlook is excellent. The nurse has to get education and experience up to 5 to 8 years. And after keeping all the efforts, the Occupational health nursing can get a average pay of @82,070 annually. The pay can change according to city, location, patient and even with good skills, education and experience you can get a good pay and position too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Refer the below FAQ questions for quick reference on the complete above post, we are adding some certain important questions n below.
Biological, Physical, Chemical hazards.
The develope prevent diseases programs
Registration required and followed by the (should be) qualified in exam.
Nurse have to register for the certification and qualify the exam.
Every hospital need occupational health nurse, it has good career for nurses.
They are works in the field of Accidental cases, treatment illness and patient injury cases.